FAMILY DISASTER PLAN CHECK LIST:
Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.
Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances the safest areas may not be your home, but within your community.
Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet. These should be measured in tens of miles rather than hundreds of miles.
Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.
Post emergency telephone numbers by your phones and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.
Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowners insurance.
Stock non-perishable emergency supplies and a Disaster Supply Kit
For more important hurricane preparation tips, visit the National Weather Service’s National Hurricane Center website at www.nhc.noaa.gov.RESOURCES FOR EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS
- Town of Hempstead Residents, 24 hour, Public Safety: (516) 538-1900
- Town of Oyster Bay Residents, 42-78 hours prior to a storm: (516) 677-5757
- Nassau County, Constituent Services, 9-4:45 PM: (516) 571-6000 (Temporary emergency numbers are established just prior to the emergency)
- Nassau County Office of Emergency Management: 1-516- 573-9655
- Nassau County Police: 1-516-573-7000
- Long Island Railroad, 24 hours: 1-718-217-5477
- Red Cross: Nassau County: 1-516- 747-3500
- NYS Terrorism Tip Line 1-866-723-3697
- Long Island Power Authority, 24 hours: 1-800-490-0075
- National Grid Gas Emergency Only, 24 hours, 1-800-490-0045 (Non-gas emergency-800-930-5003)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): 1-800-480-2520
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security: 1-800-BE-READY (1-800-237-3239)
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 1-800-311-3435
- Village of Garden City: 911 or GC Fire Department 1-516-746-2800 (For non-emergency Police 516-465-4100 and Fire 516-746-1301)
- Village of Farmingdale: 911 or Fire Department non-emergency at 516-531-9820
- Village of Hempstead: 911 or Fire Department at 1-516-486-0012 ONLINE RESOURCES FOR EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS
www.nhc.noaa.gov (Hurricane center)
www.nod.org/emergency (Disability Information)
www.emergency.cdc.gov (Emergency Preparedness)
www.fema.gov (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
www.nysemo.state.ny.us (NYS Office of Emergency Management)
www.kemphannon.com (6th Senate District)