Online Identity Theft: The Fastest Growing Crime in America
Identity theft has become one of the fastest growing crimes in America today and the Internet is making it easier for criminals to take your name and information and drag it through the mud. That’s why Senator Kemp Hannon is encouraging everyone to review some simple, but very important tips to prevent identity theft:
1. Make sure you've connected to your own secure network when you're checking personal information such as bank accounts and emails, or when making purchases online.
2. If you're suspicious of the look of an email, or the nature of the information requested, don't go any further. Instead, contact the institution directly via their website, and ask if any such email was sent to their database of customers.
3. “Phishing” is a term used for a form of scam that offers you refunds and prizes for information you provide. If something seems too good to be true, it most likely is.
4. Changing your password every so often can be a simple way to prevent identity thieves from infiltrating your accounts.
5. Being smart about online shopping is important. Making sure the sites you are making purchases on have a seal of security can help you decide whether or not your information is safe.